Thursday, October 6, 2011

Welcome to Shepherd's Field Children's Village

Well, I've had two full days here at Shepherd's Field and they have been great. Although I am still battling a little bit of jet lag, I am adjusting rather well. Both mornings I have been up quite early, but I find you can accomplish a lot when you wake up with the sun. I was able to unpack and organize my room on the very first morning. I like my cozy little apartment.
My bed (nobody occupies the top bunk)

Our living room

Our kitchen area



I went to Walmart yesterday to shop for food. I don't recommend shopping when you are half asleep. I didn't know what I wanted and I couldn't think very well. I ended up with cheerios, noodles, and some fruit. That should last me a few days until I can go back. We really just seem to eat rice for every meal anyway...or at least that is what my new friends have told me (more about them in the future).

Today I spent the morning with Jacob-Jai. He is still recovering from his clubbed foot surgery so he can't really get around much yet. He cracks me up all the time. He always wants to take pictures for me. Often times his photos turn out better than mine. In the afternoon I went to hang out with Henry. He wanted to ride bikes but there weren't anymore with training wheels. He was too small for the bikes we had to choose from so I held onto the seat and pushed him around for a bit. He ditched me to hang out with Eric and Howard, but he came back before dinner for a hug :)

Tonight was my first experience eating the street meat. Let me just say: it was delicious! We ate lamb kabobs, spicy cucumbers, spicy green beans, spicy potatoes, fried rice, the Chinese version of garlic bread, and I'm sure there is something I forgot. There was so much food and I just kept eating as much as possible. By the time we walked home I was stuffed but happy. Sorry that I didn't take any pictures of the food, but Tim took a video that I'm sure will end up on Facebook.

All in all, the last couple of days have been great. Even though I am having trouble staying awake late enough to get a normal night's sleep, I know I am where I should be. My main struggle right now is feeling inadequate next to some of the incredible people I've met already. However, I know the Father has chosen me for a purpose. I'm excited for the adventures planned for the next few days before I start work on Monday!

9 comments:

  1. So glad you are settled. Love your new apt...you need to go get some flowers:) I'm glad Henry gave you a hug for me...good boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. keep the updates coming! i want to follow your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too, I want to follow you :)

    Lydie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww...this make me so happy! I am glad you are there helping the Lord with His work. Please keep this up. The girls are enjoying this just as much. They are excited to see what you are doing over there. We will be praying for you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you have Clay and Jewel's old room? And is Sara in there now too?

    So fun to relive some of my memories through your experiences now! Make sure to buy lots of frozen dumplings, yummy fruit juices, and chocolate peanut butter and bread at Walmart. You can live off that for quite a while...

    Oh and when you go with Sara to the night market... buy LOTS of fruit!! It's so good and SO cheap!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Annie, yes we are both in Clay and Jewel's old apt. The top bunk is empty in my room right now so you should probably come see us. Thanks for the advice for my shopping, I was too tired to make real decisions so I didn't get much of anything. Tonight, though, we are making tacos :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. =) I totally want to come room with you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO happy to see your apartment~ lovely. Sounds like you are getting settled and finding your way. Look SO forward to coming to see you soon. Blessings to you as you begin your China life~ God bless your socks off!!! XOXO
    PS. How cold is it there?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness! Your little apartment is so cute! And you are IN CHINA!!! Yay! A year ago did you ever think you would be living in China with tons of ultra adorable kids?! You are truly blessed and you will be light and love to those little ones. Oh, and more pics please!

    ReplyDelete