Friday, October 21, 2011

Garageless Garage Sale

Today SFCV hosted a garage sale to raise some money. The final count isn't in, but it was busy and successful. It was great seeing the staff and visiting team band together. We had a basic plan, but as life tends to go here, we hadn't really organized the event until it was set up. Even then, many of us made up the prices as we went along. I was able to practice my bargaining skills with some of the customers. And if any of you have ever shopped at a market in China, you know that is an important skill to develop. I can also count to six now...I know ten as well, but always forget seven, eight, nine...maybe someday. I worked the toy table which was interesting since we had no real prices for anything and I really did make it up per customer. Hopefully, I was fair. I think some of our ayis were more excited about the sale than the village folk, but overall, I think everyone enjoyed themselves. It was an exhausting morning, but a fun peak into a culture so different from our own. All in all, it was a blessing to us and the community. Here are a few pictures from the day...photo credits: Tim Baker.

This was only the beginning...
The clothing tables were very popular
Wendy (one of our kids) was very helpful with the books



Me and Pam before the madness


1 comment:

  1. Loved seeing the photos!!! What a fun day. We just had our own yardsale to raise travel funds too. We did well. Can't wait to be there soon! XO

    ReplyDelete